Politicians who’ve been on the massive display screen – Ballotpedia Information
Welcome to Friday March 12, Brew. This is what to anticipate initially of your day:
- Politicians who have been actors or musicians
- Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) Is fifth Senator to Announce Retirement in 2022
- Greater than 70 individuals vying to be Rhode Island’s subsequent lieutenant governor
Politicians who have been actors or musicians
In February, forward of this yr’s Tremendous Bowl, we shared a listing of political figures who had performed within the massive sport. With the presentation of the GRAMMY Awards this weekend and the announcement of this yr’s Oscar nominees on Monday, I assumed we have been going to be some nominees and workplace holders who have been additionally actors and musicians.
We despatched our workers to go looking the online to see what they might unearth.
- Our record consists of 12 present and former officers who starred in TV exhibits or motion pictures – two presidents, two US senators, three US representatives, two governors and three native officers.
- These officers come from eight states, with 4 of California and two of Minnesota. Amongst them, six Republicans, three Democrats, one member of the Reform Celebration and two non-partisans.
- We’ve additionally recognized eight unsuccessful candidates who have been additionally actors – 4 from California, three from New York and one from Michigan. Seven of them ran for the US Home Districts and one for the Governor of New York.
- Two members of america Home and three candidates are or have been musicians, every of a special state.
These lists usually are not exhaustive. We targeted primarily on latest workplace holders and candidates that we lined on Ballotpedia, though there are just a few extra names on the record. We’ve checked out varied sources to deliver these lists collectively, together with Within the wings, Enterprise intern, Billboard, Rolling stone, and IMDb.
From Fred Thompson and Cynthia Nixon to Sonny Bono and Clay Aiken, it is a star-studded report.
- Ronald reagan (R), the fortieth The president of america (1981-1989), was an actor recognized for his roles in The killers (1964), Coronary heart in a rush (1949), and extra. Reagan additionally served as governor of California from 1967 to 1975.
- Donald trump (R) was the forty fifth The president of america (2017-2021) of new York and starred within the actuality TV sequence The apprentice. He additionally made appearances in Dwelling alone 2 (1992), Two weeks discover (2002), and extra.
- Al Franken was a Democratic member of the US senate of the state of Minnesota (2009-2018). He wrote for and generally carried out on Saturday Evening Reside. He was additionally in Stuart saves his household and Inventory markets.
- Fred thompson, former Republican member of the US senate of Tennessee (1994-2003), was in Legislation and order, Pink October Searching, Days of thunder, and Die exhausting 2.
- Sean duffy is a former republican American consultant of Wisconsinseventh Congressional District (2011-2019) and appeared within the actuality TV sequence The true world (1997). (Okay, not essentially an actor – however he was on TV!)
- Fred grandy, a former republican American consultant of Iowa (1987–1995), was recognized for his roles in The love boat and Maude.
- Ben jones, a former democrat American consultant of Georgia (1989-1993), was in The Dukes of Hazzard.
- Arnold schwarzenegger (R) served as governor of California from 2003 to 2011. He starred in quite a few movies, together with Predator (1987), the Terminator sequence, and sixth day (2000).
- Jesse Ventura (Reform Celebration) was the governor of Minnesota from 1999 to 2003. He appeared in Predator (1987).
- Sheila kuehl, present member of the non-partisan Los Angeles County Supervisory Board who took workplace in 2014, was in The Stu Erwin Present (1950-1955) and The Bob Cummings Present (1955-1959).
- Steven quezada (D) is a member of the Bernalillo County Fee, representing District 2 of New Mexico. Quezada took workplace in 2017. He performed roles in breaking Unhealthy (2008-2013) and You higher name Saul (2020).
- Clint eastwood was the non-partisan mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea in California (1986-1988). He has been in lots of movies together with Gran Torino and Soiled Harry.
Actors who ran however weren’t elected:
- Kimberlin Brown Pelzer (R) ran for American home symbolize Californiaof thirty sixth Congressional District in 2018. She appeared in The younger and the stressed (1973) and Love glory and wonder (1987).
- Melissa Gilbert was a 2016 Democratic candidate for American home to symbolize the eighth Congressional District of Michigan. She was recognized for her function in Little home within the meadow (1974).
- JG Hertzler (impartial) ran for American home symbolize new Yorktwenty third Congressional District in 2018 and was recognized for his roles in Injustice: gods amongst us (2013), Star Trek: Deep House 9 (1993) and Prelude to Axanar (2014).
- Chris Mitchum was a 2014 Republican candidate for American home to symbolize the twenty fourth Congressional District of California, well-known for Summer season killer (1972) and Rio lobo (1970).
- Diane neal (impartial) ran for American home symbolize new Yorknineteenth Congressional District in 2018. She appeared in Legislation & Order: Particular Victims Unit (2001-2012) and NCIS (2010-2014).
- Antonio Sabato Jr. (R) ran for American home symbolize Californiaof the twenty sixth Congressional District in 2018. He was recognized for his roles in A lift (1998), Shark hunter (2001), and Normal hospital (1963).
- Stacey sprint (R) ran for American home symbolize Californiaof forty fourth Congressional District in 2018 and was recognized for her function in Distraught (1995).
- Cynthia nixon ran within the Democratic main for governor of new York and for election to the New York State Meeting as a candidate for the Working Households Celebration in 2018. Her most recognizable function is to Gender and metropolis (1998-2004).
- Sonny bono, duo Sonny and Cher, (R) was a American consultant of California (1995-1998).
- John corridor (D) of the group Orleans was a American consultant of new York (2007-2010).
The musicians who ran however weren’t elected:
- Kanye west is a music producer and rapper who ran for The president of america as a self-employed particular person in 2020. He lives Wyoming.
- Aiken clay was a 2014 Democratic candidate for American home to symbolize the 2nd congressional district of North Carolina. He got here in second on American Idol in 2003.
- Richard “Kinky” Friedman was a Democratic candidate for Texas Agriculture Commissioner within the 2014 elections. He beforehand ran for governor in 2006 as an impartial.
Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) Is the fifth senator to announce his retirement in 2022
Senator Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) Introduced on March 8 that he wouldn’t stand for re-election in 2022. Blunt was first elected to the Senate in 2010 and was re-elected in 2016 towards Jason Kander ( D), 49 years outdated. % to 46%.
Blunt is the fifth US senator to announce he won’t run for re-election in 2022, becoming a member of Republicans Richard Burr (North Carolina), Rob Portman (Ohio), Pat Toomey (Pennsylvania) and Richard Shelby (Ala.).
4 US senators – three Republicans and one Democrat – didn’t stand for election in 2020. Three Republican senators didn’t stand for election in 2018.
The graph under exhibits what number of months earlier than the November common election Senators introduced their retirement within the present and former two election cycles. The graph begins with the month of October of the earlier cycle, two years earlier than the final election. For instance, a January 2021 retirement announcement can be made 22 months earlier than the November 2022 election. Senator Burr introduced in July 2016 that he wouldn’t be working for one more time period in 2022. For the needs of this graph, he’s included within the first doable month – the twenty fifth month for the 2022 cycle.
All senators who retired within the 2020 cycle have introduced their choices by Could 2019 (-18 within the graph above). All Senators who retired within the 2018 cycle introduced earlier than January of this yr (-10 above).
Thirty-four US Senate seats are awaiting election subsequent yr. Republicans at the moment maintain 20 of these seats and Democrats have 14.
The Senate is break up 50-50, with 50 Republicans, 48 Democrats and two Independents assembly with the Democrats. Vice President Kamala Harris (D) has the deciding vote, giving Democrats efficient management of the chamber.
Greater than 70 individuals vying to be Rhode Island’s subsequent lieutenant governor
Daniel McKee (D) was sworn in as governor of Rhode Island on March 2. The previous incumbent, Gina Raimondo (R), has resigned after being confirmed as US Secretary of Commerce within the Biden administration. McKee was the lieutenant governor of Raimondo.
Beneath the Rhode Island Structure, if the outgoing governor resigns, the lieutenant governor holds workplace till the following election. Neither the structure nor state legislation prescribes how the workplace of the lieutenant governor is crammed if the incumbent resigns. In 1997, when Lieutenant Governor Robert Weygand resigned, Governor Lincoln Almond appointed his substitute. McKee referred to this occasion saying that as governor he would select the following lieutenant governor.
In line with WPRI-TV, greater than 75 individuals utilized, together with a number of state lawmakers. State Senator Louis DiPalma (D) and State Representatives Robert Phillips (D), Grace Diaz (D) and Anastasia Williams (D) are among the many candidates searching for the publish. A number of former lawmakers have additionally utilized.
The preliminary software deadline – February. 2 – has been prolonged indefinitely, however The Boston Globe reported that McKee is predicted to decide on his successor within the coming weeks. The Rhode Island State Senate should verify McKee’s alternative.
The Lieutenant Governor is Rhode Island’s second govt officer and the primary to succeed the Governor. The duties of the lieutenant governor embrace emergency administration, intergovernmental relations and appointment to boards of administrators and commissions.
Forty-five states have a lieutenant governor. In Hawaii, the lieutenant governor additionally serves as secretary of state. In Tennessee and West Virginia, the Speaker of the Senate can also be Lieutenant Governor and is elected from the Legislature. The 5 states with out an workplace are Arizona, Maine, New Hampshire, Oregon, and Wyoming.